Why Head and Neck Cancer Cannot be IgnoredHealth and Holidays
Oncology in simpler term is known as the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer. The particular branch of medicine which deals with the Cancer of mouth, nose, sinuses, salivary glands, throat and lymph nodes in the neck is known as head and neck oncology. Most of the cancers which are studied in this category begin in the moist tissue that lines the mouth, nose and throat. These cells are often referred to as squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. If you are suffering from Cancer of any of the above mentioned body part, then get in touch with Health and Holidays. We will help you in connecting with the best head and neck oncology treatment hospitals in India.
These Cancers are further categorized by the area of the head and neck in which they begin. These areas are described below –
· Oral cavity – it includes the lips, the front two-thirds of the tongue, the gums, the lining inside the cheeks and lips, the floor of the mouth.
· Pharynx – It is a hollow tube and has three parts – nasopharynx which is the upper part of the pharynx, oropharynx which is the middle part and hypopharynx which is the lower part.
· Larynx – it is also called as the voicebox formed by cartilage and contains the vocal cords.
· Salivary glands – they are in the floor of the mouth and near the jawbone.
According to the best Head & Neck Oncology doctors in India, the causes of head and neck cancers are as follows –
· Alcohol and tobacco are two of the most common causes. Around 75 percent of these cancers are caused by tobacco and alcohol consumption.
· Betel quid or Paan consumption is strongly associated with this cancer.
· Infection with cancer causing types of human papillomavirus (HPV) is a risk factor for some types of cancer.
· Other causes include oral health, preserved or salted food, occupational exposure, radiation exposure etc.
Cancer of head and neck is identified with the help of the following symptoms –
· Swelling or a sore that does not heal.
· Red or white patch in the mouth.
· Change in voice or hoarseness.
· Persistent nasal congestion or obstruction.
· Weakness or numbness of a body part in the head and neck region.
Treatment options in the head and neck oncology hospitals in India are as follows –
· Radiation therapy
High energy X-rays are used to destroy cancer cells. A specific number of treatments are given over a period of time. Patients may experience short term pain in or difficulty in swallowing, change in voice because of swelling and scarring. When this therapy is given using implants, it is called internal radiation therapy.
Medical tourism in India is aggressively promoted for treatment of Cancer. There are different surgeries for removal of cancer. Laser technology is used to remove an early stage tumor. Excision is the process to remove cancerous tumor and some surrounding healthy tissue.
Tags: Medical tourism in India, Head & Neck Oncology Treatment Hospitals, Best Head & Neck Oncology doctors in India, Best Healthcare tourism in India, Health and Holidays.